Archives for March 2011

DMA322: Custom Header Issues

Wanting to get something easy out-of-the-way yesterday I figured I'd take the 10 minutes needed and add the things due this Monday for Crisps class. After adding the links I went to add a custom header as I have done on many other websites including this one.. I remember Crisp said in class that the zenit techs didn't compile php with jpg or jpeg support, so it was no surprise to me when it failed. Before everyone goes emailing Crisp or tweeting me I figured I should make this handy-dandy work around. Let's begin! Step 1: Find an image you want to use for the custom header. It can be anything (within reason). Step 2: Open Photoshop, MS Paint or whatever application you have available and resize the image. It should be around 720 pixels wide by 180 pixels in height (720x180). Otherwise your header image will be huge and make your blog look weird and possibly n00bish. Step 3: This step isn't required but highly recommended. With Photoshop still open make a smaller version of the header image maybe 200 pixels in width and the corresponding height. Save it with the same name as the image made in Step 2 but add "-thumb" before the file extension. This is so you can see the image on the Header page. Step 4: Open FileZilla or your preferred FTP application. Log on to the zenit server and go to this path: public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/tarski3/headers. Let me break this path down. public_html is where files go that you want visitors to see. wordpress is the directory name I'm assuming you used, it may vary.. wp-content is the WordPress directory where all your content goes. Examples: themes, plugins, uploads, images, videos, etc.. themes is where your themes are located and edited. tarksi3 is the theme we installed in class, again this folder name may vary, mines tarski. headers is the folder where all the header images are stored. Step 5: Navigate in the left area of FileZilla and locate the image(s) that you resized for your header in Step 2. Drag over or double-click to upload the image(s) to the "headers" folder. Step 6: Login to your WordPress admin area. An example link is: http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/~dma322_111a19/wordpress/wp-admin . Step 7: Locate the "Appearance" tab on the left and then click on "Header". If everything went well you should see your header thumbnail. Or a broken image if you didn't make the thumbnail. Step 8: Click on the radio button to the left of the image thumbnail and click "Save Changes". Step 9: If you click the link on the top left of your blog it will bring you to the main page where you can see your stylish new custom header image! Step 10: Pass the link to this post onto others who need help: http://wp.ly/jC. On a side note, I find it interesting how hardly anybody has posted on their blogs this semester..

DMA355: Digital Clock Project

Our latest assignment given to us this past Tuesday was to make a digital clock that looks similar to:Digital Alarm Clock Asset I had everything except the 12 or 24 hour clock figured out as of 2:45am this morning. But at that point I wasn't thinking straight, and was messing things up so I stopped. Got some rest and while trying to fall asleep it dawned on me. Since I can't run a function inside of a function (tried it) why not have a selection at frame 1 of either 12 or 24 hours. When someone clicks on the "12hrs" button it takes them to frame 5 where it shows the correct day, time and hours -12 if applicable. If you click "24hrs" it takes you to frame 10 and shows the same clock without subtracting 12 hrs, and the ampm value equals nothing. Whether the visitor clicks on "12hrs" or "24hrs" show the same two buttons at the bottom so they can switch between both clocks. Changed that this afternoon, after talking with fellow classmates at my b-day party last night I figured out how to fix things... The regular 12hr clock is the default, the 24hr clock is on frame 5 and yea, a simple gotoAndStop(5); and viola! Spent about 20 or 30 minutes adding and troubleshooting that, got it. Then I was finished! But being picky as I am I distributed stuff to different layers and cleaned up the code. Of course I left in my quirky and sometimes angry comments in ;). Made the background smaller and added a slight fade to it on the sides. Had lunch and watched the latest Bones episode. After seeing that smart sniper episode I created the correct html file to go along with the clock and uploaded it. Tested it on four different computers one of those being my MacBook and then finally posted it on basecamp and twitter at pretty much the same time. Not to be an ass kisser but I am first ๐Ÿ˜› Here's the final product: [flash]http://artxed.com/dma355/digitalClock/digitalClock.swf[/flash] Link: http://artXed.com/dma355/digitalClock EDIT: Still a little surprised that only Andres and I have posted our clocks, granted his doesn't work exactly as it should but it works..